Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Trucks all over the highway

On Friday October 12, there was a semi truck accident involving 31 trucks and one passenger vehicle on both sides of Interstate 5, right outside Clarita, California.

The northbound lanes were reopened early Monday morning, but the southbound truck lanes, which include the tunnel where the crash occurred will remain closed for several months, according to the California Department of Transportation.

I grew up in Houston and lived in Dallas, so I am no novice when it comes to freeway driving, but I will never forget the first time I drove in LA. They had these metered ramps with traffic lights. When the light turns green, you just floor it and go, even if there is no space. And there is never any space. Never.

Then I was on the freeway and had to drive 70+ mph in bumper to bumper traffic. I kept trying to leave space between my car and the car in front; but, someone always cut in and sent me a finger wave. I quickly learned to use the surface streets whenever possible. I think it saved my life, more than once.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails