According to SymphonyIRI’s Q3 2012 MarketPulse study, Generation X generally has a positive outlook on the economy, but are more frugal than baby boomers and seniors.
Susan Viamari, editor of Times and Trends, SymphonyIRI, says
. . . sandwiched between baby boomers and Millennials, Gen-Xers are aged 35 to 44... sometimes referred to as the ignored generation. and their spending power should not be overlooked by CPG retailers and manufacturers...Gen-Xers were graduating from college and ...entering the adult world after the 1987 stock market crash and the recession that followed... nuch like The Great Recession has influenced Millennials.
- 24% think their financial situation has improved during the last 12 months, and 37% feel their finances will improve during the coming year.
- 37% buy brands that are on sale rather than their preferred brands
- 32% select products to create more meals at the lowest cost possible
- 33% choose products based on loyalty card discounts
- 20% steer clear of certain aisles to avoid unplanned purchases
- 69% make shopping lists and use a variety of tools in their list-making process
- 49% review circulars,
- 48% use coupons,
- 14% leverage the Internet, and
- 10% refer to a retailer’s website.
- 55% of Gen-Xers download recipes off websites and other online sources
- 52% download coupons from manufacturer websites
- 51% download coupons from retailer websites
- 51% download coupons from couponing sites
- 38% research products online
- 35% visit deal sites
- 31% use social media sites to get coupons
- 23% look for updates from retailers/manufacturers via email/text message
- 18% research products on blogs
- 7% purchase groceries online and have them delivered