- total music sales slipped $624 million, despite a $1 billion increase in online sales from 2005;
- online music adoption grew 93 percent during same period;
- retail music sales totaled about $18 billion globally, down 8 percent;
- digital music sales were $1.2 billion and mobile audio sales were about $850 million;
- online music represents roughly 7 percent of total music sales (CDs, paid music downloads, and online music subscriptions), up from 3 percent in 2005;
- approximately 582 million songs were downloaded, up 65 percent; and,
- 54 songs sold more than 500,000 digital copies (went Gold) and 11 albums sold more than 100,000 downloads; compare this to 22 songs and three albums in 2005.
Note: this figures do not count ring tones as music.
Source: Nielsen Soundscan, Maxim Group LLC.