Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Changes on Entrecard : Good or Bad?

While I was doing my taxes, the entire system at Entrecard changed. All my blogs had a backlog of blogs wanting to advertise when I signed in. Some blogs were queued up more than once. Whoa, why am I so popular? I explored the site, trying to discover the changes that had been made.

Advertising on Blogs

When I looked for blogs on which to advertise, there are no prices below the blogs on the category page. Instead, I must browse all blogs or blogs in one category, ordered by:
  • Most Popular
  • Newest
  • Biggest Advertiser
  • Cheapest
  • Most Expensive
  • Random
You may set the browse to certain criteria, like:
  • Favorites first?
  • Must have widget?
  • Accepting ads?
  • Don't already have an ad in queue?
  • Maximum number of credits.
However, I could click Advertise from the browse page and the transaction was automatic.

Color Codes

The Entrecards now have color codes. Blue means I already am in the queue for advertising, purple means it is a favorite of mine.

Drops Inbox

The drops inbox does not work correctly. When I filter by blogs on which I have not dropped, sometimes I get the same ones I just dropped. I noticed a problem with the count of cards I had dropped, and some of the credits seem to get lost.

New Pricing

Finally, I found the magic pricing algorithm on the Entrecard blog.
. . . start at 2 credits, and double it for everyone waiting for an ad on your site. For example, if you have 5 people approved and stacked in the “On your widget” column of the dashboard, and 5 people waiting for approval, you would calculate 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2, or 2 to the power of 10, which equals 1024 credits. And then in 24 hours, when an ad has completed running, their price would go down to 512. If no one bought an ad that day, tomorrow it would go down to 256. And then if someone bought an ad for 256, the price would go back up to 512.
Well, I suddenly realized why my blogs were so popular. They were CHEAP. Oh, well . . .


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails