Wednesday, July 1, 2009

What You Should Know About Blogger

Just this month, I have had the opportunity to help some folks with some Blogger template issues. These are questions I have had before, so I thought I would share them in a series of posts so that perhaps they will help someone else.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Before Making Changes to Blog Template or Settings

Backup your template. You have read this before. From you DASHBOARD > SETTINGS > EDIT HTML > EXPAND WIDGET TEMPLATE (check it) > copy entire template to a plain text editor, like NotePad or WordPad. SAVE AS blogname_backup_6 digit date (CoolAdzine_backup_070109). Do this for all your blogs.



TIP: May I also suggest that you add another blog to your dashboard? Call it TEST or SAND BOX or whatever you wish. Copy your entire blog template to this test blog. Experiment with anything on this blog before changing your actual blog. Make sure you update your Google profile to NOT show this test blog.



One Way To Remove Navbar In Blogger

1. Open your Blogger dashboard.

2. Go to LAYOUT > EDIT HTML

3. Find this phrase.

/* Variable definitions
====================

4. Add the following phrase above the phrase found in step 3 :

#navbar-iframe { display: none !important; }

5. Save your settings and view your blog now. The navigation bar will be gone.



TIP: You may also want to read How to Remove and Hide Blogger NavBar (Top Navigation Bar) » My Digital Life that provides several ways as well for the different versions of Blogger.




2 comments:

Sandy said...

You are awesome!!! I just wrote down your directions, and know I'm not the only one who will appreciate and use your directions.

I did google for directions on how to remove it; but didn't find any so this is great.

Another question comes to mind regarding this. Once removed is there a way to determine easily if you're signed in? I'm thinking of where someone might have several blogs and use different accounts/ID etc for those different blogs. If nav bar is gone...how do you sign in?

Thanks
Sandy

Sandy said...

Checking back in with you. Previous post was before I nixed the navbar. I was successful doing it using your instructions. I am though having a little trouble when I want to post or edit. The only way I know to get into my navbar less blog (Traveling Suitcase), is to click on my profile to get the blogger icon to click on to get to my dashboard to post or edit a post or get to the layout to make any changes.

Is there an easier way to do this without the navbar? I do like the way it looks, but haven't as yet done this on my other blogs, because with it there...customizing, adding post are so much easier.

Thanks
Sandy

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails