The Baby Boom generation is classified as people born between 1946 and 1964, meaning the oldest Baby Boomers turn 65 in 2011.So, the Boomers soon will be classified as seniors. Dr. Bob Deutsch of marketing firm Brain Sells says understanding the following three basic life structures is critical to capturing the Boomer market:
- Baby Boomers are survivors.
- Boomers offer new opportunities for purveyors of finance, health care, and personal care.
- Nostalgia should be considered to attract Boomers.
Key Boomer attitudes and perceptions that are important for marketers, says Deutsch:
- Boomers are authentic. Versus what, plastic?
- For Boomers, process is at least as important as the end result. We hate committees.
- Boomers like to inspire others. We like to think we do.
- Boomers have been around long enough to know there are few absolutes. Good and evil are two.
- Accentuate personal style. Leave off the tie-dye and My Generation (Who) soundtrack.
- Boomers are oriented to the human dimension and see humor in most situations. We laugh not to cry.
- Boomers do not like feeling trapped or conned and being thought of as one of the masses. We are the largest generational group born in the America--ever. We grew up being stuffed into classrooms.
- Boomers are both creative and conservative. I think this scenario is an either/or.
- Boomers go for what gives voice to things they are thinking and feeling. Drop the fiber and diaper commercials and infomercials.
- Boomers respond to people that listen and, therefore, understand. Duh!